Rotary is a worldwide organisation which was founded in Chicago, USA in 1905. Club membership is by invitation and is made up of a cross-section of business and professional men and women.
Clubs exist to offer fellowship between business people and to serve the local community. Its motto is ‘Service above self’.
Rotary Foundation is the world’s largest educational charity and provides the opportunity for Rotary to offer scholarships to non-Rotarians for study overseas.
Polio Plus is a Rotary funded campaign, run in association with the World Health Authority, which has virtually wiped polio off the face of the earth through an immunisation programme.
Individual clubs are autonomous in operation, but are all structured along the same lines. Each club has a president, secretary and treasurer. Every member is assigned to one of the club’s committees, and in general these are:
- Club Service – this Committee deals with the day to day running of the club; finding speakers for the weekly meetings, organising a variety of meetings, arranging sporting and social events.
- Community Service – organises events to support, help and entertain the less fortunate in the community and advises on charitable donations.
- Foundation – this Committee’s remit is to seek opportunities to help people in need, both locally and wider afield. The Rotary Foundation is the charitable arm of Rotary and runs a unique matching grant scheme which enables Rotary Clubs to work together and with the Foundation better to support those in need of help.
- Fundraising – this Committee leads all of the Club’s charity fundraising activities including the sponsored Orwell Walk, Run and Cycle Ride and our annual Golf Day.
- International – exists to promote better international understanding. This may be through contact with Rotary Clubs around the world, or it could be the provision of an emergency box for use after an earthquake or other natural disaster. We have direct links with Rotary Clubs in 2 other Countries – USA and Germany.
- Vocational Service and Youth Opportunities – this committee arranges speakers and events which help Rotarians improve their professionalism and support young people with their personal development.
Please see the Meet the Team page for more details about the Committee